ODESSA, TX (KWES) - With the holiday season often comes an increase in scams. To ensure you don’t fall victim to scams year-round, the Odessa Police Department has released tips to help you and your information stay safe.
- A legitimate business will never ask for payment in form of a prepaid gift card.
- The scammer will ask you to buy a prepaid debit/credit card and ask you for the code on the back of the card. DO NOT give them that information.
- Never give out your personal information (example: credit card numbers, social security numbers, birth dates, etc.).
- DO NOT pick up calls from unknown numbers or callers. If the information is important or urgent, the callers will probably leave a voicemail or find another way to contact you.
- Please be cautious if you decide to call the caller back as some scams are designed to bill victims for international calls (typically a $19.95 charge).
- DO NOT send cash and DO NOT wire money until you verify the information.
- Notify family members to determine if an emergency exists.
- Monitor your incoming calls carefully.
- Sign up for free scam alerts by clicking here.