LOGANSPORT, Ind — Visitation and funeral arrangements are now set for Marine Cpl. Humberto “Bert” Sanchez.
Sanchez, of Logansport, was one of 13 service members and at least 169 Afghans killed when a suicide bomber attacked the Kabul airport.
Sanchez will arrive at Grissom Air Reserve Base at 10:30 a.m., Sunday, Sept. 12. A procession will leave between 10:45 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. and people can show their support along the following route:
- Leaving Grissom Air Reserve Base heading west on State Road 218 towards US 35 (Walton).
- Turning north on US 35 and proceeding to Logansport.
- Exiting onto Main Street from US 35 and continuing towards Burlington Avenue.
- Turning north onto Burlington Avenue and proceeding to the intersection of 3rd and Market streets.
- Turning east onto Market Street and proceeding to 18th Street.
- Turning north on 18th Street and proceeding to Broadway.
- Turning west on Broadway and arriving at Gundrum Funeral Home.
There will be no ceremony upon his arrival at the funeral home.
Public visitation for Sanchez will then be held from 1-7 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 13, at LifeGate Church. That is located at 831 Burlington Ave., in Logansport.
A public funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 14 also at LifeGate Church.
A livestream link will be provided and available on Sanchez’s tribute page on www.gundrumcares.com.
Burial with full military graveside rites will follow at Mount Hope Cemetery in Logansport.
The procession route from the funeral home to the cemetery is as follows:
- Leaving LifeGate Church and turning north onto Burlington Avenue.
- Proceeding on Burlington Avenue to the intersection of 3rd and Market streets.
- Turning east onto Market Street to 6th Street.
- Turning north onto 6th Street and proceeding to Hanna Street.
- Turning right on Hanna Street and then left onto Pleasant Hill and into Mount. Hope Cemetery.
The family of Cpl. Sanchez has also established a scholarship fund to accept memorial contributions in his memory.
According to the funeral home, gifts can be sent to the Cpl. Humberto Sanchez Memorial Scholarship Fund, at the Cass County Community Foundation Inc., P.O. Box 441, Logansport, IN 46947 or online.