CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — The Nueces County ESD #2 posted to social media at approximately 4 p.m. that the body of 18-year-old Andru Bas has been found near Mile Marker 203 on Padre Island.
Fire Chief Robert Rocha said a spectator spotted the male in the water, and firefighters recovered the body.
ESD 2, Corpus Christi Fire Department and several volunteers had been on the North Jetty on Padre Island since Sunday searching for Bas.
Officials said Bas was swimming with his 16-year-old brother when both began having trouble with the current on Sunday. The 16-year-old was rescued by a nearby surfer.
"I heard a yell and so I started paddling over because I just felt the feeling that I should, and I just heard him saying 'help, help, help!' so I just told him to grab onto my board and he grabbed onto the front of it," the surfer said.
The US Coast Guard suspended their search for Bas around 2 p.m. Tuesday after covering 787 nautical miles in 23 hours. Hours later, Bas was found by local first responders.
For the latest updates on coronavirus in the Coastal Bend, click here.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Five Orange Grove High School students arrested on felony charges for hazing incident, police searching for sixth student involved
- Corpus Christi native publishes book to help normalize disabilities, becomes best selling author
- IRS: Texans affected by winter storm have until June 15 to file taxes
- Joe Gazin announces he will retire from KIII-TV at the end of May
- Upcoming COVID-19 vaccine clinics in the Coastal Bend. Here's what you need to know.