NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas — Comal County officials confirmed the county's first death from COVID-19 Thursday.
The New Braunfels man in his 40s died Thursday afternoon in Austin at Ascension Seton Medical Center, where he had been treated.
According to the New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung, Adolph, "T.J.," Mendez was from San Antonio and had lived in New Braunfels for the past 14 years.
Mendez's daughter told the Herald-Zeitung that he had tested positive for the virus on Tuesday, March 24, but was otherwise "perfectly healthy" and had no underlying health conditions.
His case was one of the eight confirmed cases in the county. Three of those people recovered and four are still recovering, the county said.
“Our hearts, as well as our thoughts and our prayers, go out to this man’s family and friends,” said County Judge Sherman Krause in a statement. “This tragic news emphasizes the need for all of us to make sure we are taking every effort to maintain social distancing measures and protecting ourselves, our loved ones and the most vulnerable among us from contracting COVID-19.”
Comal County residents with questions or concerns about coronavirus can call the county’s dedicated COVID-19 hotline: 830-221-1120.
MORE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE:
- How you can help Central Texas foster care children impacted by coronavirus pandemic
- Austin nonprofit providing food, low-cost dental care during coronavirus crisis
- Round Rock Cares to help small businesses amid coronavirus outbreak
- Coronavirus updates in Central Texas: What to know Friday
- Gov. Greg Abbott issues executive order to quarantine individuals flying in from NY, NJ, CT and New Orleans
- Coronavirus live updates: US leads world in confirmed cases