Deadly Crash Takes Mother's Life

By Sarah Snyder
NewsWest 9

A hit-and-run in Midland has left a seven month old without a mother. 

The baby and mother along with a sister in law and her infant were all out taking a stroll on Wednesday night when a truck slammed into them, then kept on going.

That baby is now fighting for its life. 

And the man police say was behind the wheel is sitting in the Midland County jail charged with intoxication manslaughter. 

Police say the crash happened at the intersection of Baird and Hicks, behind Midland Freshman. 

We spoke with the surviving mother, as well as neighbors and witnesses who say they just don't feel safe living here anymore.

"They lived just a couple blocks that way, and they were just headed home," a nearby neighbor, said.
But their walk home took a tragic turn.

"We were walking to the house and that's when the truck hit me and then it hit my daughter,"  Altamia Romera, the surviving mother, said. "I turned around and I didn't see my sister-in-law, so that's when I turned around again and she was in the floor and my nephew flew from the stroller, so that's when it happened. And I went and hugged her and I said 'Ashley get up, Ashley get up,' and she didn't get up. That's when I started acting crazy."

"It was accelerating East bound and basically just drove right through the middle of the group of mothers and children," Lt. Brian Bogart of the Midland Police Department, said.

"The stroller went up into the air," a neighbor said. "It was crazy. I was really scared."

"I ran into the house and called the ambulance," witness Eufemia Sotelo, said.

And police weren't far behind.

"We called out nearly all the traffic officers," Lt. Bogart, said.

Witnesses and neighbors tried to help the two infants.

"We just went and got the kids from across the street and brought them over here so they wouldn't see that girl," Sotelo said, "Because that girl was bleeding pretty bad."

Witnesses say neighbors poured out of their homes trying to figure out what had happened.

"There was a lot of here say going around, that this guy did it or that guy did it," another neighbor said.

But it didn't take police long to find out. Just a few blocks away, police arrested 51-year-old Carlos Baeza who headed home after the crash on charges of intoxication manslaughter and intoxication assault.

"We'd have fun all the time," Romero said. "We'll go to stores together, everywhere we go, we go together. And now, who am I going to go with? Nobody. Just by myself."

Carlos Baeza remains in jail without bond, and an account has been set up to help the Molina family. 

It's at Western National Bank under her husband's name, Samuel D. Molina. 

Lt. Bogart says this case is still under investigation.