Squirrel to Blame for Grassfire in Midland County

Staff Report
NewsWest 9

MIDLAND COUNTY - A squirrel is considered the responsible for a grass fire that broke in south Midland County on Tuesday afternoon.

Acording to Midland fire officials, the squirrel got tangled in a electrical pole and caused the sparks that eventually turned into a grass fire.

In total, about five acres were scorched.

Preliminary reports say one shed burned to the ground.

The fire is out now, but Midland County Fire Marshalls say the fire presented some complications.

Several homes around the area were evacuated for safety precautions.

One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion, apparently he hurt his neck when he fell.