HOUSTON (AP) - Health officials in Houston say a cancer patient who died last week had been infected with salmonella poisoning. That could make 67-year-old Raul Rivera of Houston the first death tied to a salmonella outbreak that has sickened 145 people in 16 states.
Rivera's official cause of death has been listed as lymphoma. But Kathy Barton of the Houston health department says the man's salmonella infection played a role.
Barbara Rivera told the Houston Chronicle that her husband was hospitalized after eating pico de gallo, a tomato-based condiment, at a Mexican restaurant in late May.