MIDLAND COUNTY - An investigation is under way after four people in Midland have died from a bad bacterial infection, that usually starts out as strep throat.
Right now, we do not know if the people who died had strep.
Midland officials say there was nothing to link them together.
Since December first of 2007, there have been 34 cases of the Group A Streptococal bacteria in Midland, including the four people who died.
The others who have it are getting better or have recovered.
The strep bacteria is not an airborn illness, but you can get it by contact.
Here are some things you can do to protect yourself.
If you are prescribed antibiotics, take them until you run out.
As always, practice good personal hygeine. That means don't share toothbrushes, drink or eat after anyone, or let them eat or drink after you.
Cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing, and wash your hands.
That is still the best way to keep from passing on or getting communicable disaeases.