Mother injured in the Sunset Apartment Fire released from the hospital - KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: |

Mother injured in the Sunset Apartment Fire released from the hospital


Staff Report
NewsWest 9

The mother of two children in the burn center in Lubbock was released from the hospital Wednesday morning, while her husband remains in stable condition at Medical Center Hospital.

A candle is being blamed for the fire that started just after seven a.m. Tuesday at the Sunset Apartments on Andrews Dighway.

Firefighters found two units consumed by flames and a family stuck inside.

Fire crews were able to rescue the trapped family upstairs and quickly put the flames out.

Two children living in the apartment had to be airlifted to Lubbock.

Firefighters evacuated dozens of others from the apartment building while trying to stop the fire from spreading.

The couple living in the downstairs apartment were treated and released.

Only two apartments were destroyed, but dozens of residents must now find a place to live because of water and smoke damage to the rest of the building.

An account has been set up to help the Redmon family with their medical expenses.

That account is at First Basin Credit Union.

There are four locations in Odessa, one in Midland, and one in Andrews.

The account number is 59240.

Click here for the donation account information for the Redmon family.

The Red Cross and United Way are taking donations for everyone affected by Tuesday's devestating fire.

Powered by Frankly