Candle Causes Fire, Sends Six to Hospital - KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: |

Candle Causes Fire, Sends Six to Hospital



By Camaron Abundes
NewsWest 9

ODESSA- Firefighters say a candle burning in the master bedroom of one apartment inside Sunset Apartments at 9100 N. Andrews Highway, caused a blaze that sent six people to the hospital, including two children who were airlifted to a hospital in Lubbock.
Batallion Chief David Parker said crews were able to stop the fire as soon as they arrived.

"We had transported six and actually had to physically rescue four from the apartment," said Parker.

Two people were treated and released, Two others remain in stable condition. The children, a brother and sister pair were sent to Lubbock for treatment.

"I can't imagine how those people feel all their stuff is gone, mine is just damaged but all theirs is gone," said Beaman.

The fire started at 6:45 Tuesday morning. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to two units but 16 other apartments in the same building sustained water and smoke damage. Residents were forced to evacuate and will have to find a new place to live. The Red Cross is assisting the families.

"Thank God we weren't home, cause me and my baby, I don't know what we would have done," said Amanda Beaman, who lived in building six, "I looked at my apartment and the water is just dripping down the ceilling, the back of it looks kind of charred, but I can't go in there yet or get anything."

Whitney Wilson also will find a new place to live but is grateful she will be able to take her belongings.

"I am really glad they got to it before they got to my apartment, because I am right next door," said Wilson.

Powered by Frankly