Criminal background

by Jacqueline Sit
NewsWest 9

NewsWest 9 the first on the scene of a standoff at a hotel in Odessa overnight.  Two people are now in federal custody.

It all started around 9 Thursday night when Odessa Police received a tip from U. S. Marshals that a bank robbery suspect was believed to be in the Basin.

A few minutes later, an Odessa officer spotted the suspect's car in the parking lot of the Quality Inn on east Highway 80.

Officers say they confirmed the suspect 39-year-old Richard Lawrence Randall was in a room there but refused to come out.

Police evacuated 40 to 50 rooms and called in the SWAT Team, a canine unit, crisis intervention unit, troopers and marshals.

An unidentified woman was in the room with Randall but she complied with officers' orders and came out.

After several hours of unsuccessful negotiations, police used tear gas and a police dog to take Randall into custody a little after 6:30 this morning.  That federal manhunt ended early this morning in Odessa but it began more than two weeks ago with a bank robbery in North Carolina.

We are learning more and more about Richard Lawrence Randall and what authorities say he's been up to over the past two weeks before landing behind bars in west Texas.

Investigators say Randall has been keeping himself pretty busy for the past two weeks knocking over banks in two different states.

These pictures are from surveillance video from the Sun Trust Bank in North Carolina back on October 10th, where U. S. Marshals say he got away with an unknown amount of cash.  After that Randall dropped off the radar for nearly two weeks.  Federal authorities say Randall re-appeared down in Portland, Texas, that's just outside of Corpus Christi several days ago.

They say these pictures show him checking out the First Community Bank before making off with even more money.

U. S. Marshals say they knew Randall was in the Basin because they got what they call a 'ping' from his cell phone, when he tried to make a call.

And that's when they tipped off local law enforcement warning the armed and dangerous fugitive could be in the area.

"They put out a regional wide attempt to locate him probably 20 minutes after I talked to Odessa Police Department one of the officers located his vehicle at the Quality Inn Hotel in Odessa," Phil Maxwell with U. S. Marshal said.

Investigators say it will take some time sorting everything out with the robbery charges and ensuing standoff and Randall has one more charge coming his way.  We're told he missed a meeting with his probation officer in North Carolina yesterday.