Florida teen suing Wal-Mart over tainted beef

by Diana Gonzalez

A Florida teenager is suing Wal-Mart over the tainted beef that put her in the hospital.

15-year-old Samantha Safranek spent three weeks in a hospital after a eating a hamburger.

"You hear about E. coli, but you don't think it's going to happen to your family," Anna Safranek, Samantha Safranek's mother, said. "My daughter is a healthy teenager, she eats a hamburger, and ends up in the hospital almost dying."

Samantha said she was vomiting blood and she had diarrhea.

"My kidneys, they completely just shut down," she said.

After learning it was E. coli, her mother called the Health Department and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

"They came into my freezer, and they took the box of meat so they could do their own testing," Anna Safranek said. "It was confirmed that the meat in that box had the same E. coli."

The Safraneks filed a lawsuit against Wal-Mart, where they bought the meat.

A representative for Wal-Mart said they pulled the product from shelves on Aug. 30.

"It doesn't do you any good to take it off the shelves at Wal-Mart when they've already sold a bunch of them to customers, and it's sitting in the freezer," attorney Scott Schlesinger said.

Wal-Mart said it was up to Topps Meat to issue a recall, which it did on Sept. 25 after 21 people in eight states became ill.

No deaths have been reported.

Safranek said she feels a lot better and returned to school this week.

Topps Meat said it is cooperating with the USDA to ensure customer safety and prevent future occurrences.