MIDLAND- A car can be a hazard to your kids, even if it's parked in the driveway. On Sunday, an eleven year old boy visiting his grandmother's house at 3202 W. Roosevelt, got pinned by his mother's vehicle when he tried to take the keys out of the car. His little sisters were inside listening to music.
"I yelled at my husband, grab the phone and dial 911," said Eileen Waldie, Jacob Sterling's grandmother.
It wasn't your average fender bender because the driver, isn't eligible for a licence for five more years.
"I thought I was going to die," said Jacob Sterling, who got pinned, "I just remember I got stuck and I saw lines and couldn't breathe."
According to the Center for Disease Control, approximately ten thousand kids each year are injured while playing near a motor vehicle, unsupervised.
"I think it's a very big lesson, especially for the kids. They don't need to be out playing in the cars," said Waldie.
As a parent you might be more concerned about the risk of your average trip down the road, but nearly a hundred kids die each year, playing near an unattended vehicle.
Police did not cite the family.