MIDLAND-ODESSA, TX (KWES) - March 19 through March 23 proved to be a light week for health inspectors in the Permian Basin. Midland had no top performers and Odessa only had two. And while Midland didn't have any low performers either, Odessa did have two.
Polo's Mexican Food at 7501 W. University Blvd. in Odessa was cited for the following:
- Uncovered containers in reach-in cooler in cook area
- Uncovered containers in walk-in refrigerator
- Microwave ovens dirty
- Dishes left in hand washing sink
- 2 fluorescent lights didn't have covers
- Numerous items not labeled/date marked
- Food prep worker handling food without gloves
This resulted in the health inspector deducting 17 points for Polo's Mexican Food.
El Rancho Tortas at 3500 N. Moss Ave. in Odessa was cited for the following:
- Restroom plumbing never inspected or approved
- Not all employees have food handler's cards
- Eggs found on floor
- Hand washing sink broken
- Hand washing sink leaking water on floor
- No hot water at hand washing sink
- Open soda bottle found in food prep area
- Numerous food items not labeled
- Dirty dishes stored in ware washing sink
- Food prep workers not wearing gloves while wrapping burritos
- Lighting in food prep area was poor
- No light covers on light bulbs above food prep area
This resulted in the health inspector deducting 23 points from El Rancho Tortas, however inspectors came back the next week and everything has been corrected.
As we mentioned, there were two restaurants in Odessa with perfect scores. Here's a look at Odessa's top performers:
- Smoked Soul (2713 N. Muskingum Ave.)
- Whataburger (1900 E. 8th St.)
Copyright 2018 KWES. All rights reserved.