(KWES) - Winter weather can cause serious problems on the roadways, including but not limited to frozen or slick roads.
In these cases, you may find yourself pulled over for a long period of time, or even worse stranded.
Officials say you should always be prepare yourself and your vehicle for the worst.
Here's a list of supplies officials recommend you to keep stocked when driving:
- Blankets, sleeping bags, extra clothes
- Cell phone, flashlight, and extra batteries
- First-aid kit
- Bottled water and non-perishable foods
- Sand or kitty litter to provide traction for tires
- Jumper cables
- Windshield scraper, tool kit, shovel
It's also just as important to perform these safety checks on your car:
- Make sure the battery is in good condition with a clean, strong connection
- Working windshield wipers with non-freezing solution
- Tires have correct air pressure and good tread
- Door locks are lubricated to prevent freezing
Officials also say if you're not comfortable due to the road conditions, it's probably best to wait until they improve.