(KWES) - Carbon monoxide poisoning is something that can be deadly to anyone who is exposed to carbon monoxide.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill without warning.
There are several things to remember regarding carbon monoxide. One of the most important things to remember is that many household items including gas and oil burning furnaces, portable generators and charcoal grills produce the poisonous gas.
One of the way to prevent any type of carbon monoxide poisoning is to purchase a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detectors near every sleeping area in your home. The detectors can be purchased at most grocery stores, hardware stores or online. Also, be sure that you regularly replace the detector and its battery to ensure proper functionality.
Another item is if you are using an oil or gas furnace is to have your furnace checked every year.
Finally, if you are using a portable generator, never use the generator inside your home or garage, even if doors and windows are open. Only use generators outside, more than 20 feet away from your home, doors and windows.
For more about carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms, click here.