HOWARD COUNTY, TX (KWES) - Howard County officials are issuing a warning to residents after recent reports of rodents infected with the plague virus in nearby counties.
According to the release, the Texas Department of Health and Human Services confirmed the report for counties southwest of Howard County.
Officials said for your own safety to remember several things:
- The disease is spread primarily by flea bites.
- If you see more than one dead rodent (mice, rats or prairie dogs) to stay clear of the area and report the location by calling (432) 264-2202.
- Be sure to keep your pets protected from fleas with flea collars or other proven products.
- Mosquito repellant also repeals fleas.
- Use common sense and never allow children or pets to pick up or touch dead rodents.