We are entering the peak of our severe weather season in West Texas. It is important to have a plan in place if you need to take shelter for a severe weather situation.
When preparing for severe weather it is important to pick a safe and secure spot to take shelter. Make sure this location has the following:
- Lowest level (basement and storm shelter are ideal)
- Center room (put as many walls between you and the outside as you can)
- No windows (flying debris can break windows and cause injury)
When preparing your shelter, it is important to have the following items:
- Blankets and pillows
- First-aid kit
- Weather radio
- Extra batteries
- Cell phone charger
- Important papers/documents
In the event of severe weather it is also important to wear appropriate clothes when you shelter. This can include:
- Long pants/sleeves
- Close-toed, hard soled footwear
Download our weather app here to stay up to date with the latest severe weather alerts.