Police: Man killed during Odessa home invasion was intoxicated

Police: Man killed during Odessa home invasion was intoxicated
House on the 4600 block of Valleybrook Lane where Jake Gould was staying. (Source: KWES)

ODESSA, TX (KWES) - We have new details following a deadly weekend home invasion in Odessa.

Early investigation shows Jake Gould, 25 was intoxicated at the time he forced entry into the Munoz family's home.

Odessa Police Department said this doesn't change much, the homeowner, Raul Munoz, 51 who shot Gould is not facing any charges.

Close family friend and neighbor Macey Love said it was a frightening situation for the family to wake up to.

"It was a mistake on his [Gould] part, that could have been prevented," said Love. "There wasn't a knock at the door, there wasn't a ringing of the doorbell, there wasn't a, 'Please let me in.' Obviously, they [the Munoz family] did not recognize the person at the door."

Gould was living in the house next door. Family of Gould said it was part of a living arrangement made by the company he was working for in Odessa.
Neighbors said they hadn't met Gould.

"Once he made his way in, they didn't recognize him. He was very, extremely new to the neighborhood, in this man camp/bunkhouse type thing next door," said Love.

Love and other neighbors were unaware of the living arrangements made in the house Gould was staying in and said there has never been any trouble with others living there.

Love said the hearts of the Munoz family are broken for Gould's loved ones.

"They are heartbroken for his family. The Munoz family has asked for prayers for his family, obviously they feel really bad for his family," said Love.

It's still unclear exactly how long Gould had been staying at the home on Valleybrook Lane. Love said neighbors are discussing their feelings about safety surrounding the home where Gould was living.

Back on Sunday, Odessa police received a call about a burglary in progress with shots being fired.

When officers arrived, they found Gould with multiple gunshot wounds.

Gould was taken to the hospital where he later died.

Final toxicology and autopsy results are still pending in the case.

We're told once those reports are received, the case will be forwarded to the District Attorney's Office.

Copyright 2016 KWES. All rights reserved