HOWARD COUNTY, TX (KWES) - A fire destroyed a home on the 15,000 block of North County Road in northeast Howard County earlier this afternoon.
Chelsie Grantham who lost her home in the fire said, " I immediately took a big breath of air as I woke up and being in the house with smoke that's kind of how I knew."
Officials said the fire appeared to be accidental.
"Something caught on fire in the microwave and it went up through the vent and pretty much up into the ceiling," said Grantham.
Fire fighters from Howard County and Big Spring did what they could to save whatever items the could in the house. No one was injured including the seven dogs they were watching at the time.
"I did get some clothes as well as some of our other items out. For the most part, it was gone," said Grantham.
Grantham added the hardest part now is trying to get back on their feet.
"I'm trying to keep my head held high. That's all I can do," said Grantham.