ECTOR COUNTY, TX (KWES) - A family is suffering a devastating loss after a fire destroyed their home Monday morning in the 6200 block of W. Laverne in Ector County.
The whole family has come together in support and to clean up what the fire destroyed.
"I saw the smoke from University and FM 1936 and said 'yep, it's my house.' 39 years," Sammy Tucker said emotionally.
Sammy Tucker is lost for words about what happened to the home he shared with his wife of 43 years, the home he raised his 5 children in.
"Most of it is gone. All of it. All of it gone," said Sammy.
Sammy's son, Thomas, was asleep inside when the fire started yesterday morning. He says he doesn't know if he would have woken up if it wasn't for his dad calling him a few times.
"By the time I woke up, I had maybe a few missed calls already. It was a good thing my dad woke me up," said Thomas.
That's when Thomas saw the smoke and fire in the hallway. He made it out of the home and tried to fight the blaze with a water hose, but it was too late, Most of the home was already engulfed in flames.
"I feel sorry for my dad. He built it from pretty much top to bottom, all his hard work, and money. He was getting ready to retire too so I don't know if he is still going to retire," said Thomas.
Today the family is able to laugh while they work together to clean up the mess the fire left behind.
"It's brought us closer, not to take advantage of having family around," said Thomas.
The family says they are just thankful they have so much support and help during this difficult time.
The family didn't have home insurance. A donation account has been set up to help the family: https://www.gofundme.com/56u7qupn.