New details released after man shot himself following police chase

New details released after man shot himself following police chase
Man shoots himself following police chase. (Source: KWES)

ODESSA, TX (KWES) - New details have been released following a police chase that ended with a man shooting himself late Wednesday night.

The Ector County Sheriff's Office said they were called out to the 11700 block of West University around 11: 15 p.m. in reference to an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

According to the report, the victim told authorities that her boyfriend, David Peeples, 35, who she had been trying to break up with, arrived at her home and wanted to talk about their relationship.

Authorities said during the talk Peeples walked into the kitchen, grabbed a hammer and began assaulting the victim and hit her in the head several times with the hammer.

The report said after the victim fell to the floor, she looked up and saw Peeples had a handgun pointed at her and told her to shut up.

That's when, police say, Peeples gave the victim a towel for her wound and continued to talk with her about their relationship stating that he was sorry for what he had done and said that he was either, "going to prison or going to kill himself."

According to the report, that's when Peeples left the victim's home and a vehicle description was released to authorities. The vehicle was later seen leaving an apartment complex in the 2700 block of East 8th Street.

A deputy followed the vehicle and the license plate came back registered to Peeples.

That's when authorities attempted to execute a traffic stop but the vehicle took off with the vehicle swerving from one side of the road to the other.

The chase later ended in the 2400 block of East Highway 80.

Authorities said they pulled up behind the vehicle and gave verbal commands for Peeples to exit the vehicle.

After about a minute of authorities shouting commands, a single gunshot was heard and the officers saw Peeples slumped over.

The report said that Peeples was found non-responsive and first aid was administered until paramedics arrived, however, Peeples had no pulse and later died.

Further investigation into this case is ongoing.

Copyright 2016 KWES. All rights reserved.