Air Conditioner Fire Destroys Odessa Family's Newly Purchased Ho - KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: newswest9.com |

Air Conditioner Fire Destroys Odessa Family's Newly Purchased Home

ODESSA, TX (KWES) -

An air conditioner malfunctioned Thursday afternoon and sparked an attic fire in the 5900 block of El Paso Avenue, homeowners said.

Six fire units and at least a dozen firefighters rushed to the scene around 3:45 p.m., according to Odessa city officials. No injuries were reported.

Meliah Watters and her husband purchased the house in late April and told NewsWest 9 it was declared a total loss.

“We’ll start all over," she said. "This is actually the second house fire I've been through. I’ve done this once before. [My husband] and I just got together four years ago and started [building our lives together]. We can do it again."

Watters and her husband were both at work when neighbors first noticed flames around 3:30 p.m.

"I saw the fire truck and I literally ran seven stop lights [driving] 90 [miles per hour] over here," she told NewsWest 9 at the scene. "When I got here, [the house] was fully engulfed."

Watters said she was most concerned about the safety of their various pets - four dogs, a cat and a bowl of fish - and drove home "assuming the worst."

Firefighters successfully extinguished the flames within one hour and rescued the cat from a back bedroom, according to Battalion Chief Danny Wyatt. The dogs escaped unharmed.

"It could be worse, so I'm just finding things to laugh about to stop myself from crying," Watters said Thursday night, several hours after residual smoke had cleared. "We're sleeping in [the barn] tonight, but we're all alive."

Powered by Frankly