Odessa Doctor, Shooting Suspect Killed at Odessa Clinic

Odessa Doctor, Shooting Suspect Killed at Odessa Clinic

ODESSA, TX (KWES) - An Odessa doctor has been confirmed dead, along with the shooting suspect, following an active shooter situation in Odessa.

Odessa Police have confirmed that Dr. Suresh Gadasalli, 53, was killed during the shooting at his clinic, the Healthy Heart Center, located at 500 East 4th Street in Odessa.

We're told police received the call around 4:30 p.m. Thursday afternoon of a shots fired call and was later upgraded to an active shooter.

Officers immediately set up a perimeter around the building, formed a team and made entry into the building. When the team made entry, several employees were found and immediately evacuated.

During the search, officers found Gadasalli and Ayyasamy Thangam, 60, inside the building with gunshot wounds.

According to the report, witnesses advised that Thangam shot Gadasalli multiple times and further advised that Thangam then closed the door to the room he was in. A short time later, witnesses heard a single gunshot.

The bodies of both men will be sent to Tarrant County for an autopsy.

The Criminal Investigation Division and Texas Rangers are processing the scene.

The investigation into the case is ongoing.

Dr. Gadasalli, as you may recall, was under scrutiny by the Federal Bureau of Investigation after he had been charged with currency structuring.

Gadasalli was actually scheduled to go on trial on July 6 in Federal Court in Midland.

According to the criminal complaint, Suresh Gadasalli was accused of making deposits and withdrawals of less than $10,000 at various banks on several occasions.

It was all to avoid federal reporting requirements as cash deposits of $10,000 or more have to be reported under federal law.

According to the FBI, he instructed his office manager to make the transactions.

Federal agents raided the Healthy Heart Center back in June of 2012.

Gadasalli was arrested 11 months later in May of 2013.

His attorney at the time released a statement saying the doctor denied the accusations and planned to defend himself.