American Red Cross, Local Hotels Jump in to Help Marfa Families Displaced by Fire

American Red Cross, Local Hotels Jump in to Help Marfa Families Displaced by Fire

By Alicia Neaves
NewsWest 9

MARFA - Several Marfa families are without a home after a fire engulfed part of their apartment complex. Even a firefighter suffered a dislocated shoulder after falling through the roof. He is expected to recover.

The community immediately jumped in to help those affected pick up the pieces.

Some families who lived in the Marfa Villa Apartments were able to salvage some belongings, but others are left with nothing.

"We didn't really see too many flames at first, it was just smoke. But within 20-30 minutes, everything was gone," said a tenant who wished to remain anonymous.

The Marfa resident says she was asleep in her apartment when the blaze started. Her dad woke her up.

The blaze ignited around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. By 11 a.m. Wednesday, crews were still putting out hot spots.

Some residents were more lucky than others.

"Everything I own is gone. All of my daughters' clothes, their shoes, our stuff. My valuables, my wedding rings, my family pictures. Everything is gone," the resident said. "I'm a single mom and I worked so hard for everything and now everything is just gone."

10 units were destroyed, two more had heat and water damage.

Smoke spread throughout the building which is now considered a total loss. At least 20 children and 15 adults were displaced. Some are staying with family, others seeking shelter at the Riata Inn. Management says donations have been pouring in.

"Toys, clothes, books, little goodie packages with toothpaste, toothbrushes," said General Manager of the Riata Inn in Marfa, Cameron Underwood.

The six families staying there are overwhelmed with the outpouring of support.

"It was very beautiful to see that," said Underwood.

The American Red Cross also had volunteers on hand helping residents get back on their feet.

"We're available for the families as long as we need," said Underwood.

If you wish to donate to help those affected, you can drop off items at Marfa Elementary or the Riata Inn.