Family Loses Home, 3 Dogs in Fire

Family Loses Home, 3 Dogs in Fire

by Kim Powell

NewsWest 9

MIDLAND - It was a devastating scene in the 3000 block of County Road 118 on Friday afternoon.

"The flames just started coming from the back and started coming out of the windows, that's whenever we called," Miriam Madrid, a neighbor, said.

Dozens of firefighters rushed to put out flames that were quickly engulfing a home. With the winds gusting up to 30 mph, other homes were at risk too.

"It was getting pretty bad, it got her trailer too," Madrid said, pointing at the home next door.

A family friend tells NewsWest 9, the owner of the home was driving to San Antonio for the weekend when she got the news. She quickly called her family to make sure everyone got out. At one point, they feared children were still in the home. Her teenage daughter had been gone no more than an hour and was at the store with her sister when they heard what happened. When they arrived, they learned that three of their dogs had died.

"It's really sad you know, like they won't have a home anymore and God bless them and we'll pray for them," said Madrid.

Firefighters told the family that the fire was likely caused by a heater in the master bedroom. Although the flames were put out in just 15 minutes, the smoke and heat damage made the home a total loss. Now, family and friends are doing whatever they can to help them get back on their feet.

"We'll help them out the best we can," Wade Bateman said.

"Start looking see if it's probably not fixable, see what we can do, start cleaning up," Jeremy Brown said.

If you would like to donate to the family, you can go to