States Say Obama Administration Misled Judge on Immigration

States Say Obama Administration Misled Judge on Immigration

By Juan A. Lozano
Associated Press

HOUSTON (AP) - A coalition of states suing to stop President Barack Obama's executive action on immigration is alleging the U.S. government misled a judge about whether officials began implementing one part of the action prior to the judge's Feb. 16 decision to issue a temporary hold of the directives.

The allegation comes after the Justice Department said in court documents this week that federal officials had granted three-year reprieves from deportation and work permits for 100,000 individuals under an expansion of a program that protects young immigrants from deportation if they were brought to the U.S. illegally as children.

Justice Department attorneys had previously said federal officials wouldn't accept requests under the program until Feb. 18.

The states are asking the judge for access to more information about the approved requests.