MCH Patient Speaks Out About 'Potentially Deadly' Dosage Error

MCH Patient Speaks Out About 'Potentially Deadly' Dosage Error

By Julia Deng
NewsWest 9

ODESSA - NewsWest 9 first reported on disturbing allegations of retaliation, wrongful termination and medical errors made by former Medical Center Hospital employees.

Now, patients are also speaking out about "neglectful staff" and "potentially deadly dosage mistakes."

"They overdosed me and landed me in the ER," said Janice Kincheloe, 23, a Midland resident who was treated at MCH in September 2014. "That was the first time I ever went to that hospital [and] it will be the last."

She was sent to MCH after being diagnosed with "stroke-like symptoms" by her neurologist and primary care physician.

MCH staff initially treated her in the emergency room and ultimately assigned her to outpatient care at the hospital's Infusion Center, according to Kincheloe and her family.

"What I needed at that point was basically infusions or injections of platelet therapy to help with my immune system," she explained. "We had to wait for hours when I got to the Infusion Center because they didn't even have the medication I needed. When they finally got it delivered, it was in a different dosage than I had gotten [during previous platelet therapy sessions], which made it take longer [to administer the medication]. I guess it was taking too long and the nurses wanted to get out of there."

Kincheloe said she had been there for almost 12 hours when a nurse entered her room and, without any warning or explanation, began "messing with the pumps."

"She comes over to the pump and she's maxing it out to go as fast as it can," she told NewsWest 9 "And then I see her taking a syringe and injecting it into the line with more medication. That's how they overdosed me."

She said she "couldn't breathe" and nurses were unable to stabilize her pulse and blood pressure, at which point they called for a Rapid Response team.

"They didn't even show up for five minutes," Kincheloe said. "I could have died. Then they finally took me to the ER and the doctor didn't show up for 30 [to] 45 minutes."

In an emailed statement to NewsWest 9, a hospital director said, "Due to patient privacy regulations, we are unable to provide information about a specific patient. It is our goal to provide exceptional patient care to every patient, every time. If we don't meet a patient's expectations, there are multiple ways to provide feedback. We value feedback because it allows us to continually improve."

In addition to her "terrifying" ordeal at the Infusion Center, Kincheloe reportedly suffered "consistent neglect" at the hands of hospital staff.

"They never bathed me [and] they never changed my sheets," she said. "I couldn't walk on my own but I was never offered help to go to the bathroom. They just tried to make me use a bedpan. And when I told them I wasn't comfortable with that, they gave me a catheter."

The 23-year-old described feeling "helpless" and said her time at MCH was a "struggle," all the way until she was hurriedly discharged.

"They tried to release me early," Kincheloe said. "I still had the catheter in and everything and the IV was still in me. My mom was rolling me out and she noticed I still had the IV in my hand."

Kincheloe's mother, Sandy Dunlap, told NewsWest 9, "I would not send my worst enemy to that place."