Texas Department of Transportation Press Release
ODESSA – The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory that includes all 12 counties in the Odessa District of TxDOT (Andrews, Crane, Ector, Loving, Martin, Midland, Pecos, Reeves, Terrell, Upton, Ward and Winkler counties). A mixture of freezing rain, sleet and snow is expected. Ice is expected to form, and up to an inch of snow is also expected.
The Odessa District is pretreating along some major roads, but we don't have the equipment, manpower or material to treat all roads. We will focus on overpasses of state roads, I-20 and the I-10/I-20 split.
Drivers should drive as if nothing has been treated. Ice can form on surfaces that have been treated. And city and county roads adjacent to state roads may not be treated at all.
Driver should avoid travel if possible.
If you must drive, here are some tips for winter driving:
• Reduce speed. Speed limits are based on normal road and weather conditions, not winter road conditions.
• Do not use cruise control.
• Maintain at least three times the normal following distance on snow or ice.
• Watch for personnel and equipment treating roadways, and stay at least 200 feet back from road crews.
• Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses and shaded areas as they tend to freeze first.
• Carry extra warm coats, gloves and boots in case you get stranded.
• If you start to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes. Steer into the direction of the skid until you feel you have regained traction, and then straighten your vehicle.
For road conditions, go to drivetexas.org, call 1-800-452-9292 or follow Twitter.com/TxDOTOdessa.