Odessa Elementary School Evacuated Due to Heating Unit Malfunction

Odessa Elementary School Evacuated Due to Heating Unit Malfunction

Staff Report
NewsWest 9

ODESSA – The "all clear" has been given following a school evacuation in Odessa on Monday morning.

The evacuation happened at Austin Elementary.

According to the Ector County ISD Facebook Page, the school was evacuated after a report of smoke coming from a vent in a Pre-K classroom.

Fire officials later determined that the problem came from a malfunctioning heating unit on the roof.

Students returned to class after about 30 minutes.