Three Arrested Following Incident in Midland - KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: |

Three Arrested Following Incident in Midland

by Justin Kree
NewsWest 9

MIDLAND - State Police were outside getting ready to serve an arrest warrant to Rubin Long. 

When Long saw the officers, he quickly barricaded himself in his house in the 4800 block of Dentcrest Drive in Midland.

"We had negotiators talking trying to get him to come out and he refused," Midland County Sheriff, Gary Painter, said.

Police quickly evacuated neighbors who lived close to the suspects house. 

Ann Hathaway was one of those neighbors.

"Police told me that I need to evacuate. I needed to leave because I didn't want to get caught in a cross fire," Hathaway said.

Long's landlord gave police keys to the house so they could cautiously go inside.

"The subject was right at the front door. Officers went in and took him down without anything happening. No problem and no one got hurt," Painter said.

Hathaway says the area is safe and quiet and Long seemed to be a nice person.

"He seemed like a very nice man. I've met him on occasion and he's always told me if ever I need anything, just let him know," Hathaway said.

Sheriff Painter tells NewsWest 9 that Long's arrest warrant was for parole violation for distribution of methamphetamine. There were two women inside the house when police went inside. 66-year-old Bonnie Lee Long and 27-year-old Lisa Lee Morris were both arrested for hindering the investigation. 

There was a 13-year-old boy in the house as well, he will be going with Child Protective Services and they will determine who he will be living with.

This incident is similar to when Deputy Mike Naylor died in the line of duty a couple of weeks ago. His death has left the sheriff and his other deputies in mourning.

"God, I didn't want to lose another officer and I didn't want anyone to get hurt. A rush went through my body when I heard the call go out. And then arriving on the scene and seeing the SWAT team, it was a hard," Painter said.

Thankfully the incident ended peacefully and the sheriff thanks all agencies that came out for help and support.

"We come together again. Everything worked out," Painter said.

Powered by Frankly