PECOS - One man is dead following a weekend house fire in Pecos.
The fire sparked up in the 900 block of South Cypress Street just before 9:45 a.m. Saturday morning.
When officials arrived on the scene, they found 51-year-old Steve Hatfield on the floor in a bedroom with severe burns from head to toe.
Hatfield was driven to an airport and transported to the UMC Burn Unit in Lubbock where he later died.
The Fire Marshal tells NewsWest 9, he believes that Hatfield fell asleep on a couch with a cigarette.
We're told Hatfield tried to get out of the home but ended up in a spare bedroom.
Officials say there were no working fire detectors in the home at the time of the fire.