Family of Eleven Loses Everything in House Fire

Family of Eleven Loses Everything in House Fire

 by Kim Powell

NewsWest 9

ODESSA - A Saturday afternoon spent with family took a tragic turn this past weekend as flamed engulfed the home of a family of 11. Lolita Garcia said she was eating lunch outside with six of her nine kids when her two-year-old son saw the smoke coming from the back of their house.

"I guess he saw the fire and he started screaming, but he doesn't really talk, so he just like started screaming," Garcia said.

In a video taken by one of her neighbors, you can see the black smoke billowing and the flames taking over this family's home of eight years. As chaos broke out, she realized two of her children were still inside sleeping.

"I was going to go inside the house and get the baby out, I got shocked I guess. I couldn't move no more," Garcia said.

That's when her brave 12-year-old daughter came through the door and woke up the of the family and one of the teenagers. Both were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and are now okay.

When neighbors saw the house go up in flames, they all grabbed their garden hoses to help, but it was a lost cause.

"My neighbor across the alley got his water hose, my other neighbors were trying to get the dogs out," Garcia said.

But the fire was too fierce. Two of their dogs didn't make it, a loss that has been hard for the family.

Now Garcia is trying to pick up the pieces, all while battling breast cancer.

"We've been going through a lot," Garcia said.

The Garcias don't know where they will be heading next, but are grateful for all of the donations that have already been made to help this big family get back on their feet.

"I appreciate it. Thank you all for helping out," Garcia said. "It's been going rough, but you know, we're going to try and make it."

If you would like to donate to the family, you can drop off items at 807 Autumn Street or 1013 West Ada in Odessa.