Feisty Grandma Fights Off Lawn Mower Thieves - KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: newswest9.com |

Feisty Grandma Fights Off Lawn Mower Thieves

by Kim Powell
NewsWest 9

ODESSA - "It could have been a murder, over what? A lawn mower?" Raquel Pineda said.

The 63-year-old is lucky she was able to walk away with minor injuries after three thieves tried to steal her lawn mower from her yard.

"I thought they would stop once they see that I was not letting the lawn mower go but instead they continued. That's how I got all of my knees scraped and got one of my teeth knocked out and my elbow scraped," Pineda said.

The feisty grandma was sitting in her living room watching her novellas when she saw a shadow walk past her window. When she peeked out, she saw two men hijacking her lawn mower.

"And that's when war broke out," Pineda said.

With her adrenaline pumping, Pineda leaped over her porch steps and grabbed the lawn mower by the handles that were sticking outside of the door, that's when one of the suspects yelled at the female driver to step on it.

"I am taking my lawn mower back even if you have to drag me all the way to wherever you're going to sell this lawn mower," Pineda said.

The suspects dragged Pineda about 25 feet from the white Ford Explorer before the battle was finally over.

"I busted my sandals and everything and I just barefooted it, running with the truck hanging onto the lawn mower until I was finally able to pull the lawn mower out and one of the wheels broke and I said, 'one for me,'" Pineda said.

Even though the lawn mower is broken, Pineda says she is just upset with the principle of the matter.

"It just worries me that it was daylight and they were so brave to just drive up to somebody's driveway and take their property," Pineda said. "You don't steal from me. I never stole from anybody. I had to work for everything I have."

The three suspects are described as Hispanic and in their 30's. If you have any information on the case, please call Odessa Police or Crime Stoppers at 333-TIPS.

• NewsMore>>

Young, joyful France beats Croatia 4-2 to win 2nd World Cup

Sunday, July 15 2018 1:03 PM EDT2018-07-15 17:03:26 GMT
    Monday, July 16 2018 10:15 AM EDT2018-07-16 14:15:52 GMT
    (AP Photo/Martin Meissner). France's Kylian Mbappe, front, celebrates after scoring his side's fourth goal during the final match between France and Croatia at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia, Sunday, July 15, 2018.(AP Photo/Martin Meissner). France's Kylian Mbappe, front, celebrates after scoring his side's fourth goal during the final match between France and Croatia at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia, Sunday, July 15, 2018.
    France won its second World Cup title by beating Croatia 4-2 in a match briefly interrupted by an on-field protest that Russian punk band Pussy Riot later took credit for.

New Mexico passenger bus crash kills 3, injures 24 others

Sunday, July 15 2018 12:40 PM EDT2018-07-15 16:40:07 GMT
    Monday, July 16 2018 10:07 AM EDT2018-07-16 14:07:33 GMT
    Authorities say a crash involving a passenger bus and three other vehicles on a highway in New Mexico has killed three people and sent 22 others to the hospital. (Source: CNN)Authorities say a crash involving a passenger bus and three other vehicles on a highway in New Mexico has killed three people and sent 22 others to the hospital. (Source: CNN)

Police: Suspect dead after wounding 3 Kansas City officers

Sunday, July 15 2018 2:28 PM EDT2018-07-15 18:28:56 GMT
    Monday, July 16 2018 10:07 AM EDT2018-07-16 14:07:10 GMT
    (Source: KHSB/CNN)(Source: KHSB/CNN)

Authorities are searching for a suspect in the shooting of two police officers in Kansas City, Missouri. Police spokesman Jacob Becchina said Sunday that the officers' conditions aren't available.

Powered by Frankly