The Associated Press
CARLSBAD, N.M. (AP) - Carlsbad Mayor Dale Janway and the Department of Energy are hosting another town hall meeting to update southeastern New Mexico residents about the radiation leak from the federal government's underground nuclear waste dump.
Officials say they plan to host the meetings every Thursday evening at the Carlsbad City Council Chambers as long as there is interest following back-to-back incidents that last month shuttered the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant. The meetings are also being streamed live on the Internet.
In an update Wednesday night, officials said follow-up tests on 17 workers who were exposed to radiation have come back negative, and more tests are being conducted.
Also, the Department of Energy says it's installing a new air monitor before more workers return to the site, and work continues on re-entry plans.