Fire Destroys Home in Odessa

Fire Destroys Home in Odessa
By: Alexa Williams
NewsWest 9

ODESSA - A devastating day for the home owners of 303 Clifford Street in Odessa. Around 1:15 p.m. Thursday afternoon, firefighters responded after an elderly couple called and said their porch was on fire.

"We had a neighbor that came by and he was knocking on the door and grandma and grandpa were in the kitchen. They opened the door and they saw nobody so they went back in the kitchen and they heard the knocking again. So they came back out and when they opened the door, they saw the smoke" George Zubiate, who is the grandson of the home owners, said.

Zubiate tells NewsWest 9 his grandparents have lived at the home for 15 years and on Thursday they had to watch all of their hard work go up in flames.

"It was heartbreaking. They built this house with a lot of hard labor and time but we can get back on our feet and start all over again," Zubiate said.

As of now, there is no word yet on the cause of the fire but the high winds on Thursday definitely played a huge roll on how first responders attacked the blaze.

"40 mile an hour winds coming out of the north. It's making it very difficult to cut the fire down," Andrea Goodson, Public Information Officer with the City of Odessa, said.

The city also urges everyone to take extra safety measures because of the weather.

"The best thing is just make sure that in these conditions that you are not doing anything outdoors like barbecuing, anything that can start a fire. If you're a welder, make sure you take precautions for sparks flying, do everything you need to do under those red flag conditions," Goodson said.

Although the family of the house is heartbroken, they said they're just glad everyone is okay.

"Material wise, it doesn't really matter. Everyone is safe so that's what really matters right now," Zubiate said.