George W. Bush Childhood Home Vandalized in Midland

George W. Bush Childhood Home Vandalized in Midland

Anum Valliani

NewsWest 9

MIDLAND - There was some not-so-friendly fire at the George W. Bush Childhood Home in Midland Sunday morning. Gunfire left their mark on the house but it wasn't bullets that were shot.

A medley of yellow, orange and white covered the front of the house that used to belong to former Presidents George W. Bush.

According to Museum Executive Director, Paul St. Hilaire, "Obviously somebody had a little extra time on their hands and decided to paintball the front of the home."

Despite it being cleaned up by the time NewsWest 9 showed up, some of the splattered paint and oil marks are still left over, like dark round spots below the porch light.

"Fortunately it's a water-based paint so it was removed over a great deal of time, but relatively easily," St. Hilaire said.   

He spent over an hour cleaning the mess. He tossed out numerous shells and used an old fashioned rag and bucket of water method to wash away the residue. However scrubbing away the colors that shouldn't have been there, left a few streaks on the dull pastel green paint that does belong.

Still St. Hilaire's thankful it wasn't worse. He recalled how a similar incident had happened a few years ago.

"Those remnants have faded over time as well," he said. 

He's not sure when the house was hit between Saturday and Sunday or if anyone had seen it before he arrived.  

"I don't want to speculate on any rationale why they would consider doing it. I would just hope that people would stop and think about the fact that they live in a town with the only home in the United States open to the public that can claim that it's home to two presidents, two governors and a first lady. Whether or not you agreed with the Bush policy or president, this is a non-political site, it's a presidential site, it's part of America's history, it's part of Midland's history and it's an important piece to maintain it for future generations," St. Hilaire said. 

Unlike the first time the house had been paintballed, St. Hilaire didn't call police because he felt it would be unlikely a suspect would be caught. After all, it's not like someone using a paintball gun has a signature on his or her work that could be tracked down. He just hopes it doesn't happen again.