Gas fireplaces could cause harm if not properly ventilated - KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: newswest9.com |

Gas fireplaces could cause harm if not properly ventilated

Posted: Updated:

Amarillo, TX - In the next few days you may be tempted to turn on your gas fireplace, but first you should check to make sure it has been properly installed.

Many people have gas fireplaces or even non-vented fireplaces, but it is important to make sure they are well ventilated.

If you are using a gas fireplace you should make sure you have a chimney or a metal pipe to draw the emissions out of your home.

If you have a non-vented fireplace you should make sure to open a door or window so you can get fresh air into the room because non-vented fireplaces draw their air from inside the room.

"That's the only thing about a vent-free unit, but the air quality is the real problem because whatever is in the room it draws to the fireplace, burns it and puts it back into the room," Randy Dryden who is the Manager at The Fireplace Center said.

Another reason to make sure your gas fireplace is well ventilated is because if not then it could be pouring carbon monoxide into your home.

"Any appliance in your home that has an open flame actually produces carbon monoxide, carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas and the effects of it are going to be headaches, nausea, dizziness, things like that," Captain Mikal Orr who is the Training Captain for the Amarillo Fire Department said.

Orr also says carbon monoxide can build up over time and you won't even know it is poisoning you.

However, if you install a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home it should protect you.

  • Gas fireplaces could cause harm if not properly ventilatedMore>>

  • Marissa Silver

    Marissa Silver

    Marissa Silver joined the NewsChannel 10 team in October 2013 all the way from South Carolina.
    Marissa Silver joined the NewsChannel 10 team in October 2013 all the way from South Carolina.