The start of school essentials from Ector County ISD:
For most students in Ector County the final few days of summer vacation are counting down. ECISD schools kick off the 2013-14 school year on Monday and here a few of the essentials:
- Start times – 7:45 a.m. for elementary; 8:54 a.m. for junior highs & high schools;
- End times – 3:00 p.m. for elementary (except for some magnet schools; call to be
sure); 4:09 for junior highs & high schools;
- Bus schedules, school menus, the Student Code of Conduct and lots more information can be found on ECISD's newly redesigned web site. Individual school websites can also be accessed from the home page – www.ectorcountyisd.org;
- ECISD uses a number of methods to communicate with parents including social media (Facebook & Twitter) and ParentLink for phone, text, and e-mail messages – in order to receive school information it is vital that the most up-to-date phone numbers and e-mail addresses are on file at your child's school;
- Parent Portal allows parents to go on-line to check their child's grades and attendance at any time – sign up for it at your school;
- Parent and community involvement are key to a school's success and ECISD offers opportunities for everyone to be involved through its Volunteers & Partners Department.
The first few days of the new school year always hectic so it pays to be a little early to school. If a student walks or rides a bus, it is a good idea to rehearse that routine with your child ahead of time. Walk the route with them and have a plan in case something changes during the school day. Make sure your child knows the correct bus number and where to get on or get off the bus and who will meet them there.
All drivers are reminded to slow down as we get back to school; watch for kids; watch for school zones; don't use your phone in those school zones; and mind the stop signs on school buses.