By Devin Sanchez
BIG SPRING - An early morning fire in Big Spring left two families without a home on Saturday. Not much is left for the families to salvage but the community plans on helping them out.
Around 5 a.m. Saturday morning, Big Spring firefighters went out to a fire in the 1200 block of Harding. Firefighters found two mobile homes that were engulfed in flames.
We're told the high winds fueled the fire and crews were at the scene for a while.
Benjamin Hoffard lives right next door to where the fire began and says his home was in danger as well.
"It damaged our truck, our porch and some of my room," Hoffard said.
Jay Flores lives down the street and says he didn't know what was going on at first.
"Me and my son were in the living room and we heard all kinds of sirens," Flores said.
But then he went outside.
"We saw the flames. They looked like they were 20, 30 feet high. It looked horrible," Flores said.
Because of the wind, Flores was worried the fire could keep spreading.
"As a precaution I started wetting things down," Flores said.
He says the people who lived in the trailer lost everything.
"She had just bought furniture, brand new. It's burned down to the ground. Sentimental value, pictures, stuff you can get back," Flores said.
Flores says he knows the community of Big Spring will join forces to help the families out.
"I have a lot of faith in this community and I know the love of God is out there," Flores said.
We're told the Red Cross has stepped in to help the families.
However, investigators are still trying to figure out what sparked the flames.
Newsroom Phone: (432) 567-9991
Can’t find what you're looking for?