By Sylvia Gonzalez
ODESSA - A devastating fire on Monday has left one Odessa family without a place to call home. NewsWest 9 spoke with the family to find out how they're dealing with the devastating loss.
"Hard," Thomas Nail said.
That was the only word that came to the mind of 70-year-old Thomas Nail, who lived in the home. Signs of smoldering rubble and ashes are all that's left of the blaze that destroyed the home Thomas shared with his wife Linda for the last 30 years. However, he said the outcome of the fire could have been worse.
"I just thank God that we wasn't in it. My kids, or my wife or my dogs that wasn't in the house," Nail said.
On Tuesday, Nail and his granddaughter, were out at the place they once called home hoping to salvage anything they could use. Unfortunately, the blaze consumed everything in its path. The only things the family were able to take with them were the clothes they had on.
"Nothing, we didn't get nothing, what we got on right here," Nail said.
Not even 24 hours after the devastating blaze, an Odessan stepped up to the plate.
"We have a couple of travel trailers at the house so we have them available for him and his wife to use if they need to, if they choose to. It's not gonna hurt us at all, all they gotta do is just move in there, it's already tied into our electricity and our water," Odessa resident, Beth Borina, said.
For Nail and his family, this generous offer says alot about Odessans. But even after losing his own home, Nail still thinks of others before himself.
"I hate to take anything from anybody, help is fine, but they might not have more than I have and I wouldn't want them to give their money," Nail said.
NewsWest 9 asked Nail if he was planning to rebuild anywhere else.
"Yes, I am going to rebuild here, I ain't gonna give it up," Nail said.