TXDOT Press Release
Amarillo – The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) are strongly advising no travel today in the Texas panhandle and south plains region.
Blowing and drifting snow, along with wind gusts of up to 60 mph, has reduced visibility to near zero on area roadways, and snow drifts are forming over the driving and passing lanes. DPS and TxDOT have closed the following roadways in the Texas panhandle:
- Interstate 40 from New Mexico to Oklahoma
- Interstate 27 from Amarillo to Lubbock
- US 54 from New Mexico to Oklahoma
- US 87/287 from Amarillo to Oklahoma state line
- US 287 from Amarillo to Childress
- US 83 is closed from Childress heading north
DPS says that virtually all roads in the Texas panhandle today are impassable and motorists should shelter in place. The Texas National Guard is being deployed to the area to assist stranded motorists.
TxDOT crews are out plowing areas in cities and towns where visibility is better, but rural and out-lying operations have been suspended until visibility improves.