Fire Breaks Out at Odessa Motel - KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: newswest9.com |

Fire Breaks Out at Odessa Motel

Josh Navarro
NewsWest 9

ODESSA - Guests at an Odessa motel may not have electricity for the rest of the night, that's because a fire broke out there.

Flames forced out some guests at the Motel One located at 2925 East Highway 80 around 5:30 p.m. Monday afternoon. The blaze sent smoke through the roof and through the halls.

"There's 36 units, we have four units with fire damage. Another four units with damage checking for fire extenders," Odessa Acting Battalion Chief, Hugh Coney, said.

Firefighters arrived on the scene to put the fire out. Officials believe the fire broke out in the attic area. The motel's third building was being remodeled and authorities say workers there were sweating some plumbing joints causing some of the insulation to catch fire.

"We actually had to cut some joints out of the way where we could get up in there the attic. Access is only a square foot, one foot by one foot, and there was no way we could do anything with it," Coney said. "So we had to pull Sheetrock and cut ceiling joints to get up in there and find it."

The plumbing also broke there making a big mess. Officials had to shut down the electricity during their investigation.

"They're having a problem shutting all the main feeds going through this building for the whole complex. They're going to have to leave this building shut in. They're trying to figure out how to do that right now. Maybe they can get the other wings electricity back, I don't know how long that will take," Coney said.

No one was hurt and no one was staying on the top floor of that third building, however there were some staying in some rooms on the bottom floor. No word if they would be relocated to other rooms at the motel.

Powered by Frankly