Midland Fire Department Warning Residents to Stay Safe This Winter Season

Staff Report
NewsWest 9

MIDLAND - As temperatures in the Basin have gotten colder, the risk of fire is starting to rise and that's why the Midland Fire Department is cautioning residents to do all they can to stay safe this winter.

For starters, make sure you're not overloading your electrical wiring. This is the cause of many home fires each year.

Also if you use portable space heaters to keep warm, make sure they are at least three feet away from any combustible materials.

Also do not use your stove to keep your house warm. In addition to being dangerous, it can also release carbon monoxide into your house.

If you have a fireplace, make sure you have your chimney inspected before your begin using it.

The fire department also warns that keeping a heating lamp in the doghouse is a dangerous way to keep your pets warm.

Lastly, be sure to check that your smoke detectors work properly and review fire escape plans with your family.