NEW DETAILS: Fire Sparks Up at Midland Hotel

Staff Report
NewsWest 9 

MIDLAND - A Midland hotel caught fire on Thursday morning after a short in an a/c unit sparked the blaze.

The fire broke out just after 8 a.m. at the Travel Lodge off Loop 250 near Interstate 20.

Fire crews arrived to find flames and heavy smoke coming out of a downstairs room.

They were quickly able to contain the fire and we're told the people who were there had already left because the power had gone out earlier in the morning.

Maintenance crews checking out the problem noticed sparking on the breaker panel.

Fire crews say the flames started up after that.

No one was hurt.