Discarded Cigarette to Blame for Weekend House Fire in Odessa - KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: newswest9.com |

Discarded Cigarette to Blame for Weekend House Fire in Odessa

Staff Report
NewsWest 9

ODESSA - A working smoke detector might have saved an Odessa house from burning down this past weekend.

Investigators are saying a discarded cigarette started a fire at a home on East 42nd.    

But because the smoke detector didn't have a working battery, the people inside the home never knew.

It wasn't until a group of teenagers that saw the fire ran to tell the people inside.

Everyone got out safely. 

Fire crews arrived to find flames coming out of the attic and the back of the home.

No one was home at the duplex next door, at the time.  

The house is considered a total loss.

The family says they've lived there for 14 years.

The Red Cross is helping out the family.

Powered by Frankly