Fire in Sand Springs Leaves Family Without Home

by Anayeli Ruiz
NewsWest 9

SAND SPRINGS - A Howard County family escaped with nothing more than the clothes on their backs after their mobile home went up in flames Thursday morning and investigators still don't know what sparked it.

"I was at work I came home and my house was on fire," said Owner of the Home Sammy Prince.

Prince and his family have lived in the Sand Springs community for more than five years, but he never expected something like this would ever happen to them.

"The trailer house caught on fire a little after 9:00 this morning," said Howard County Fire Chief Tommy Sullivan.

Part of the family was still inside the home when the blaze broke out.

"My wife was in bed, my friend in bed and a woman passing by was beating on the house woke up my wife," said Prince.

Thanks to neighbors and fire officials everyone inside managed to get out the home safely.

The high winds and dry weather were a common enemy giving the firefighters a tough handle on the fire.

"There was a threat of grass fire behind the house but we stopped that," said Sullivan.

Officials are still trying to figure out what started the fire but the home was a total loss. Only some Christmas decorations remained in the front yard as a reminder that this was once a home.

"The family and kids lost everything. Its going be tough for them," said Sullivan.

If you would like to help the family out, an account has been set up for them at the Cosden Federal Credit Union under Laura and Sammy Prince fire account.