Fire Sparks Up at Midland Apartment Complex, Eight Families Displaced

Staff Report
NewsWest 9

MIDLAND - The Red Cross is helping out eight Midland families forced out of their homes after an apartment fire.

The fire happened Thursday night at the Thornwood Apartments on North "A" Street.

The fire started in an upstairs bathroom of a unit after maintenance workers used a torch to repair a copper pipe fitting.

Heat from the torch ignited materials inside the wall.

The flames spread to the attic causing smoke and water damage to the building.

In fact, 50% of the attic was damaged by the fire.      

It took crews about 45 minutes to put out the flames.

No injuries were reported.