West Odessa Home Damaged But Not by Storms

by Victor Lopez
NewsWest 9

WEST ODESSA--Cleanup continues after Monday night's fierce storms.  But not all the damage was caused by mother nature.

Rodolfo and Rogelio Gonzalez were inside their mobile home on West Wintergreen when the storm hit.  They say, Monday night, everything happened so fast, there was no time to think.  Tuesday came and it's time to pick up the pieces and move on.

"I don't know what to think  I was just like, it's a lot of damage, that's all I can say," Rogelio said.

Rogelio says he was asleep on the couch when he heard, what he thought, was just a strong thunderstorm, "I looked on the wall and it was cracking.  So, I ran to my dad's room and asked if he was okay.  He said, 'yeah,' but I just saw the bed move and everything."

His father, Rodolfo, was sitting in an armchair just feet from his bed.

"My tree went through my window and then I saw my wall come down.  My bed went in front of me, all the way to the other side of the room.  Then I realized something bigger than that had happened," Rodolfo said.

Pieces of the mobile home across the street were literally flying all over.

According to Rodolfo, "Their roof had blown all the way over my trees.  It hit that tree and my car on that side and it broke a bunch of stuff."

Lumber and roofing material were scattered up to 100 yards away, some making serious impact.

"There's a 2x4 that went through the other trailer. I just went through like a freakin' nail.  To me, it looked like a tornado but it's not a tornado.  It's just strong wind," Rogelio explained.

Gonzalez estimates the damage to his home to be about $10,000 to $12,000.  Paying for the repair will be difficult, since he dropped his insurance last year, when he paid off his house.  But, there is hope.

"I already talked to the gentlemen, the owners of the roof.  They told me they are going to pay for the damage," Rodolfo commented.

Father and son are still in shock over what happened.  Considering the damage done to their home, they were both lucky to walk away without a scratch.

"It was probably 5 or 6 seconds.  I mean, all of the sudden, it went just like that," Rodolfo said.

"I just thank God we survived.  That's all I can say," Rogelio added.

Stormtracker 9 Meteorologists say no tornados were reported in the area on Monday.  The only thing were straight line winds in excess of 60 miles per hour.