Memorial Day Fire in Odessa Ruled Accidental

by Victor Lopez
NewsWest 9

ODESSA--NewsWest 9 has learned where the blaze started, but fire investigators still don't know how.

The businesses involved in Monday night's fire, were without electricity most of Tuesday.

Building owner Jason Moore is thankful the final damage report wasn't as bad as it could have been.  He credits the fast response of the Odessa Fire and Police Departments.

"I just hate that the firemen had to come out on Memorial Day to fight a fire," Moore said.

Moore got a call at 8:10 Monday night.  It was one of his tenants telling him the building at 2651 Parkway was on fire.  When he got there, five minutes later, firefighters already had everything under control.

According to Moore, "It was just a couple of pieces of glass broken out.  Even at that, the fire department did a great job of limiting the ancillary damage it takes to get into a building, when one is burning.  All in all, it could have been way worse."

Investigators don't think the fire was intentional.  Right now, they are still looking for clues.

"As far as I know, they're looking at the air conditioning unit.  That's all I know, right now.  It started at the air conditioning unit.  As far as I know, right now, they don't know what caused it to catch on fire, whether it was electrical or something else," Moore said.

The Odessa Soccer Association was the hardest business hit.  Luckily, Moore says, the damage looks worse than it actually was, "It's mostly smoke damage.  The roof wasn't penetrated.  Probably, the new roof we were having put on sustained quiet a bit of damage.  But again, they are already up there working on the roof so it's not that big a deal to fix that."

The total damage cost could run between $25,000 and $30,000 dollars.  Moore says that's a  total that could have been much higher, if not for the efforts of first responders, "Kudos to those guys, because they got here quick and they got it put out.  It's a real testament to the men and women who serve our community and emergency personnel."

Moore says all the insurance policies on the building were paid and up to date.  Signs on some front doors said they plan to be open for business by Wednesday.